Investment potential of the timber industry complex of the Tyumen region
Main factors of favourable investment climate contributing to the regional timber industry
- advantageous geographical position and availability of natural resources;
- efficient market infrastructure and high consumer activity;
- presence of experienced personnel;
- successful experience of investment projects’ implementation;
- effective system of state support of investment activity.
Forest regions’ distribution in the Tyumen region
Total volume of forest stand – 961,3 million cubic metres:
- birch – 53,1%;
- pine – 23%;
- aspen – 9,7%;
- cedar – 6,5%;
- spruce – 5,9%;
- silver fir – 1,3%;
- other – 0,5%.
Possible annual wood felling volume (rated wood cutting) – 16,2 million cubic meters including the wood of coniferous trees – 3,2 million cubic meters.
Average annual wood felling – 10% of rated wood cutting. Possible volume of cutting area development based on the forest land availability: 25-30%.
Northern forest regions:
For paper mill and fiber board production projects; for projects of wood chemical and sawing industries.
Central and southern forest regions:
For projects of wood-based panel and sawing industries; furniture production and bioenergy.
The investment projects offered for implementation:
||Wood-based panel factories *
||Wood processing *
||Pulp-and-paper production **
|- conversion of boiler houses to wood fuel;
||- OSB (oriented standard board)
||- BHKP – 600 thousand tonnes per year (bleached hardwood kraft pulp)
||- wood chipboard
||- broadleaf and coniferous saw timber
||- BSKP – 150 thousand tonnes per year (bleached softwood kraft pulp)
|- pellets, bales
||- MDF (a board composed of dried and pressed wooden fiber)
|- BCTP- 250 thousand tonnes per year (bleached chemi-thermomechanical aspen pulp)
|- plywood manufacturing plant
||- wooden frame houses
||- BCTP- 250 thousand tonnes per year (bleached chemi-thermomechanical aspen pulp)
* – based on “Strategy and plan of development of forest industry of the Tyumen region” developed by Pöyry Forest Industry Consulting Oy
** – according to the concept worked out by the Association of Specialists of the Pulp and Paper Industry (ASPPI).
Preconditions for organization of wood-based panel production
- Availability of considerable stock of low-grade wood;
- Every year 0.5-0.7 million cubic metres of unprocessed waste wood remain on operating enterprises;
- The Tyumen region as for the new housing supply per capita takes the first place in Russia: in the years 2014-2020 it will make 14 million square metres, including the individual housing construction – 6 million square metres;
- Geographical position, entry to the markets of:
- Tyumen region (including the Khanty-Mansi and Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Districts),
- Ural federal district (12.3 million people),
- Siberian federal district (19.3 million people),
- Republic of Kazakhstan (17.4 million people);
- Presence of the large-scale furniture factories in the Tyumen region.
Preconditions of regional bioenergetics development
Pellets, biofuel, bioethanol:
- Considerable stock of low-grade wood;
- Yearly volume of unprocessed waste wood – 0.5-0.7 million cubic metres;
- High export potential.
Wood fuel boiler houses
- In the Tyumen region the Plan of conversion of 62 inefficient boiler houses to wood fuel (wood chips, pellets) is prepared: boiler houses’ installation expenses are analyzed; wood fuel supply scheme is worked out; the effect is estimated;
- Higher gas tariffs comparing to those of wood fuel;
- Impossibility of gas use in some districts;
- In some districts gas distribution network limits are reached and there is no power reserve.
Preconditions for organization of regional plywood production
Organization of plywood production in the Tobolsk/ Uvat districts – from 60 thousand cubic metres per year.
- Volume of available raw material- up to 4566 thousand cubic meters per year;
- Birch- 2, 3 growth class;
- Peeler logs average output of total wood volume: 10-15% in mixed forests; up to 30% in birch forests;
- High export potential of final products;
- Possibility of leasing the municipal ground areas for implementation of the project.
In the region the stably functioning educational system of all levels exists:
- 9 state higher education institutions, 9 branches of Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Novossibirsk HEIs (80 000 students);
- 19 secondary vocational education institutions (30 000 students);
- 547 schools, 153 000 pupils.
The Tyumen technical school of forestry engineering
Training of highly skilled competitive specialists for forestry engineering enterprises
- Dual education system is introduced (academic exercises in technical school, practice – at work post);
- Studies are organized by the employers at their enterprises.
The career fair is regularly held in cooperation with the regional forest enterprises.
State support of investors in the Tyumen region
- Reduction of regional income tax by 3%;
- Reduction of property and transport taxes to 0%;
- Land tax benefits;
- Partial reimbursement of infrastructure construction expenses;
- Allocation of ground areas and real property items belonging to state or municipal authorities;
- Reimbursement of up to 50% of leasing initial contribution and funding of 2/3 of refinancing rate as per credit and leasing agreements.
System approach to implementation of investment projects
Investors within the territory of the Tyumen region receive full administrative support for a wide range of issues, reducing costs by 20-30%.