The overall assessment of socioeconomic situation for the region
In 2017, the region saw an increase of industrial production. Promising investment projects were implemented. Population growth continued in the region. Actual wages increased just as actual disposable income of the population, leading to the revival of the consumer market: retail trade growth resumed and provision of paid services to the population saw an upward trend.
The industrial production index for January-December 2017 was 102.6%.
Production index for the “mineral extraction” economic activity was 88.8%. 11 million tons of oil were produced (88.4% of the level of January-December 2016). The reason for this decline is the oil companies performing under the agreement on limiting oil production signed between OPEC countries.
Production index for the manufacturing sector was 106.8%, including:
- production of coke and petroleum products: 107.7%. Production of diesel fuel increased by 4.8%. Production of liquefied propane and butane increased by 2.1%;
- production of medicines and materials used for medical purposes: 126.1%;
- production of electrical equipment: 103.7%. Growth continues in the production of cable products (1.8 times). Production of starter batteries for cars reduced by 11.8%;
- production of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers: 108.6%; other vehicles and equipment: 113.5%.
- wood processing and production of wooden goods except furniture: 117.9%. Production of plywood increased by 19%; production of timber decreased by 8.8%;
- production of paper and paper products: 109.3%;
- metallurgical production: 125.7%;
- production of chemical substances and products: 110.7%;
- food production: 101.1%; beverage production: 103.0%. Production of processed and canned fish increased by 15.0%, production of butter increased by 8.2%, production of poultry meat and by-products increased by 4.2%, production of pastry increased by 32.3%, production of cottage cheese increased by 5.8%, production of meat and meat-containing semi-finished products (chilled and frozen) increased by 6.0%, production of bakery products increased by 4.2%; production of beer increased by 20.9%;
- production of other non-metal mineral products: 104.3%. Production of sand-lime bricks reduced by 9.7%, production of glass bottles increased by 5%.
- production of machinery and equipment not included in other groups: 105.8%. Production of centrifugal pumps increased by 2.2%, production of other special-purpose machinery reduced by 1%;
- production of fabricated metal goods except cars and equipment: 85.1%. Production of ferrous metal structures and structure parts reduced by 22.9%, production of welding electrodes increased by 19.7%.
Production index for the “power, gas and steam supply; air conditioning” economic activity was 113.7% in 2017. 12.9 billion kWh of electrical power was generated, 19.9% more than in 2016. Production of steam and hot water increased by 0.5%, reaching 16.9 million Gcal.
Production index for the “water supply; sewerage, management of waste collection and disposal, pollution elimination activities” economic activity was 108.9% in 2017.
Agricultural production volume among farms of all categories was 76 billion Rubles for 2017 (103.8% of the similar period of the previous year).
Farms of all categories produced 147.3 tons of meat (live weight) (101.1% of the 2016 level), 521.9 tons of milk (102.1% of the 2016 level), 1,523.2 million eggs (113.9% of the 2016 level)
Agricultural companies achieved higher rates of production output: milk production increased by 7.6% (293.0 thousand tons), egg production increased by 14.1% (1,443.2 million eggs), meat (live weight) production increased by 2.3% (94.9 thousand tons).
As of January 1, 2018, compared to the corresponding date of the previous yer, the farms of all categories saw an increase in the number of cattle (by 0.3%) and cows (by 1.2%) and decrease in the number of pigs (by 4.9%), sheeps and goats (by 1.2%).
Agricultural companies saw an increase in the number of cattle (by 0.5%) and cows (by 1.5%) and decrease in the number of pigs (by 3.5%), sheep and goats (by 21.3%).
The growth of productive efficiency is observed in agricultural companies for livestock and poultry. Average milk yield was 6,066 kg per cow (105.6% of the 2016 level), egg yield was 332 eggs per hen (102.5% of the 2016 level).
The gross grain harvest in all categories of farms amounted to 1,585.9 thousand tons (123.3% of the 2016 level), the resulting yield is 23.3 centner/ha. 580.6 thousand tons of potatoes were harvested with yield of 200 centner/ha, 181.9 thousand tons of vegetables were harvested with yield of 332 centner/ha. Seeds for 2018 harvest are stored in full, livestock forage is prepared.
For 2017, construction companies performed works with own means amounting to 188.6 billion Rubles (116.4% of the 2016 level, in comparable prices).
Organizations of all types of ownership (including individual developers) commissioned 1,419.8 thousand square meters of total area of residential houses (968.3 square meters per 1000 residents). The share of individual houses built by residents is 46.2%.
Investment volume for January-September 2017 was 192.0 billion Rubles (104.5% of the similar period of the previous year).
The largest volume of investment was directed to manufacturing sector (73.3% of total investment volume, excluding small business entities). Investments in manufacturing amounted to 50.6% of total investments, increased by 14% compared to the level of January-September 2016.
Turnover of retail trade was 354.1 billion Rubles for January-December 2017 (102.0% of the corresponding period of the previous year, in comparable prices). Goods were sold for the amount of 241.5 thousand Rubles per capita.
The proportion of food, beverages and tobacco comprised 47.9% of the retail trade turnover, while the proportion of non-food products was 52.1%.
Public catering turnover amounted to 25.7 billion Rubles (107.1% of the corresponding period of the previous year, in comparable prices).
Paid services were offered to the region population, for total amount of 80.2 billion Rubles (102.1% of the corresponding period of the previous year, in comparable prices), or 54.7 thousand Rubles per capita.
The largest share of paid services comprised utilities (19.7%), telecommunications (17.7%), transport (11.9%), education (9.7%), household (9%) and healthcare (9%).
According to the data of the Ural customs administration, foreign trade turnover of the Tyumen region (excluding autonomous districts) including the mutual trade with EEU countries was 4,220.5 million USD (2,528.7 million USD for import and 1,691.8 million USD for export). A positive foreign trade balance of 836.8 million USD was achieved.
The largest share of export (68.2%) comprised energy complex products (TNVED Art. 27), namely oil and oil products (mostly diesel fuel and liquefied petroleum gases) with supply volume amounting to 1,723.8 million USD.
The second place (28% of total) comprises chemical products (TNVED Art. 28-40), first of all, organic chemicals and polypropylene. For the period of January-November 2017 export volume of these products amounted to 707.8 million USD.
The share of wood processing products (plywood, wooden and plywood panels, chipboard) comprised 1.7%; the share of cars, equipment and transport vehicles comprised 0.8%; the share of food products and agricultural raw materials (except textile) comprised 0.7%.
Most export supplies were made to the Netherlands (27.8% of total volume), Belgium (12.9%), France (8.3%), Great Britain (7.6%), Poland (7.4%), Latvia (6.1%), Sweden (5.5%) and Belarus (5.2%).
The largest share of import (89.2%) comprised cars, equipment and transport vehicles (TNVED Art. 84-90). Chemical industry products comprised 4.4%, metals and metal goods comprised 4%.
Main importing countries were: Germany (31.2% of total volume), Belgium (12.3%), Italy (5.9%), Poland (3.2%), the Netherlands (3.1%), USA (2.6%), France (2.6%), Great Britain (2.5%) and China (2%).
Labor and employment
Unemployment rate for October-December 2017 was 4.8% (by ILO methodology). The number of officially registered unemployed persons as of 1 January 2018 is 4,407 people; the unemployment rate is 0.61% of the total labor force.
The coefficient of tension at the regional labor market is 0.2 persons per 1 job vacancy.
As of January 1, 2018, the region's population is 1,498.8 thousand people, according to preliminary data.Natural population growth for January-December 2017 year was 5,362 people; migration gain in January-November 2017 was 14,955 people.