The Tyumen region is one of the largest multinational (polyethnic) regions in the Russian Federation. Representatives of 150 ethnic groups live in the region.
A unique cultural diversity and spiritual unity of various peoples has formed in the Tyumen region after the centuries of multicultural and multiethnic interaction with the help of the uniting function of the Russian people.
According to the Directorate of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation for the Tyumen region there are 89 public national organizations and 244 religious associations and organizations in the region. And their number is growing. Such national (ethnic) and religious diversity of the region and a unique historical experience of intercultural and interreligious cooperation, of preservation and development of culture, traditions and life of peoples of the region are the common heritage, which determines the state and a positive direction of the development of ethnic and confessional relations in the Tyumen region.
In order to efficiently implement the national state policy and to ensure stable ethnic and cultural development, the region has designed a regulatory legal framework for the implementation of state policy in the areas of ethnic and confessional interaction and social and political relations.
Since 2005 the Tyumen region has been implementing a state programme named "Implementation of the National State Policy", the main activities of which are:
- maintenance and development of ethno-cultural variety of the Tyumen region nationalities, consolidation of their religious fellowship and communion;
- development of national educational system (preservation and development of the Tyumen region nationality languages);
- creation of conditions for public and socio-cultural adaptation and integration of migrants;
- provision of North aboriginal small nationalities (improvement of their life quality, accessible medical attendance, education, maintenance of cultural heritage and traditional living habits);
- development of religious Decalogue, traditional living habits, mode of husbandry and original culture of Russian Cossacks, attraction of Cossacks community members for carrying government and other kind service;
- support of own nationals living abroad, assistance to the development of their relations with Russia;
- organization of ethno-confessional situation monitoring in the region and early warning of conflict situations, prevention of extremist manifestations.
Along with ensuring ethnic and cultural rights of the population, the Tyumen region is providing a priority integrated state support to events, promoting the ideas of all-Russian civic identity, unity of the Russian nation, development of self-consciousness and patriotism.
Every year public national associations and religious organizations arrange with the support of the regional government up to 500 socially significant cultural and educational events, aimed at strengthening interethnic unity, harmonizing cross-national relations, restoring and preserving the historical and cultural heritage and spiritual values of peoples, and ensuring interconfessional concord.
The interethnic and interconfessional situation in the Tyumen region is stable, predictable, manageable and constantly positively developing.
According to Upravleniye (Management) state automated information system, 85.2% of citizens provide positive feedback for interethnic relations in the Tyumen region in 2018; 85.8% of citizens positively assess the state of interconfessional relations in 2018.